Re: Un-asked-for-language support

On Sun, 2009-11-29 at 22:36 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 19:02:32 -0800,
>   Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 yahoo com> wrote:
> >
> > 3)  How about the lzma(xz) compression, does not it save space and allow for more of the locales/languages to be included in default livecd's/spins?
>
> The live spins use squashfs which currently doesn't use lzma compression.
> There is a good chance that Phillip Lougher will be submitting a patch
> in the 2.6.33 merge window for the upstream kernel to do this. We'll
> know in a couple of weeks. If this happens then I think there is a reasonable
> shot that F13 will use lzma for the live spins.

It's worth clarifying here for Antonio that the live CD does not in fact
contain any RPM package files at all. It contains a compressed
filesystem. So the compression of RPM package payloads with lzma/xz has
no relevance to the live CD. Bruno is explaining that the filesystem on
the live CD is not compressed using lzma/xz compression, but it may be
possible to do that in future.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey