delta rebuild

Every time I see this during a 'yum update' I wonder what it really means or if it is a bug.

<delta rebuild> 22% [===     ] 277 kB/s |  50 MB     10:35 ETA

Isn't the kB/s being displayed for a CPU activity? Usually this speed output is associated with the network download speed. It seems strange to to see it in this context. Is it really telling us anything useful?

John