How do I keep intentionally unmounted filesystems out of the GTK file dialog?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Oct 2 16:12:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 11:09:53AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I notice on my rawhide partition, if I do something like Save As
> from firefox and ask to browse places to save, the file browser
> dialog I get contains all the labels for all the unmounted file
> systems I intentionally left out of fstab because I didn't want
> to screw them up while testing rawhide.

You see those in a file selector because you have the same file
systems also in in a browser for your "Computer" icon and also in
"Places" menu.

> How the devil do I convince the annoying file browser there was
> a reason those filesystems are not mounted?

Apparently you cannot as this is considered a proper "user-friendly"
behaviour with no ways to make it less so.  Quite a while ago I
tried to explain that this is nothing but and also has obscene
security implications.  All my arguments fallen on deaf ears and bug
reports were closed WONTFIX.  I gave up.  I will be not drawn into
the same conversation again but if somebody has ways to prevent that
nastiness I am all ears.

   Michal