Problems with Eclipse

Many eclipse dialogs are not working for me. For instance when I try to create a new python project, I can't get past naming the project. Neither the apply nor the finish button do anything. Similarly, for a c project I can't add arguments to the debug launch. Again apply and debug buttons don't do anything. I tried launching eclipse from the command line but there weren't any messages. Any ideas about what is happening? i686 architecture.