Re: PulseAudio in-/output device confusion

Adam Williamson wrote:

> Where are you seeing this, exactly? Are you using
KDE?

Of course I use KDE :-)

I see this in systemsettings/multimedia/device
preference.

The reason I would like to finally understand this is
that I have 2 computers (desk- and laptop) and the
priority of preference is often different, or sometimes
my laptop tells me that such and such a device does not
exist and asks whether I would like to remove it, etc.
Often it tells me that PulseAudio is not working, so it
will default to PulseAudio Sound Server. Huh? Yes, I
see that there are 2 entries, but this is all very,
very confusing and I just want to know what the
intended order of all these devices is supposed to be,
from the perspective of someone who wants to use
PulseAudio correctly to achieve optimal sound without
glitches and hitches, etc.