firstboot resolution [Was: Re: any list for test installing f12 beta on my x86_64 laptop?]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Oct 14 15:40:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   ok, i'll do that, but i'm still concerned about resolving the
> issue i described earlier -- during firstboot, the display was
> clearly configured incorrectly so that i couldn't even see the
> buttons in the lower right.
>
>   if i want to test that again, what's the proper way to force
> re-running firstboot upon reboot?  i can see the setting in
> /etc/sysconfig/firstboot, and also being able to run "chkconfig" on
> it.  is there an approved way of simply asking to run it again at
> boot time?  thanks.

  as a short followup, i tweaked the above two properties to force a
firstboot run at the next boot and, sure enough, upon reboot, the
display setting was still screwed to the point where i still can't see
anything down in the lower right and that's probably why at least
*some* of my settings weren't correct after booting -- because i
simply had no idea what i was answering as i went from screen to
screen.

  this seems like a fairly serious show-stopper -- and it seems like
it would be independent of any video selection for the install itself.
even when the install worked fine, it's the firstboot that *seemed* to
select a resolution of 2080x800 for a 1280x800 display, making a lot
of each screen inaccessible.

  suggestions?  i'm willing to run some tests.  the video card is an
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, and i have a *long* history with ATI driver
grief.

rday