firstboot resolution [Was: Re: any list for test installing f12 beta on my x86_64 laptop?]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 14 16:10:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 11:40:05 -0400,
  "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>   this seems like a fairly serious show-stopper -- and it seems like
> it would be independent of any video selection for the install itself.
> even when the install worked fine, it's the firstboot that *seemed* to
> select a resolution of 2080x800 for a 1280x800 display, making a lot
> of each screen inaccessible.
>
>   suggestions?  i'm willing to run some tests.  the video card is an
> ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, and i have a *long* history with ATI driver
> grief.

As a short term fix you should be able to see up an xorg.conf file that
prefers 1280x800. I think using the modes command in the display section
will do what you want. man xorg.conf has more details.

I also recommend filing a bug against xorg-x11-drv-ati. That probably won't
get a quick fix, but will at least document the issue.