Resizing ext4 partitions

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:27:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Renato Caldas
<seventhguardian at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 5:49 PM, A. Mani <a.mani.cms at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it really safe to resize ext4 partitions?
<snip>
> I don't understand what you did, nor why. Can you please explain?

I was checking resize of ext4 partitions in my test system. Ubuntu
users/devel have reported problems in 9.04 and karmic.

I had made a 5 GB /boot  ext4 partition (sda2) initially and wanted to
reduce it to ~ 2GB. The vfat partition (sda1) (with full install of
freedos) was also resized to take up the resulting free space. All
this was done with the parted magic CD (ver- 4.0).

I think the problem is due to the older version (1.41.5) of e2fsprogs.

Anything below VERSION 1.41.9 is bound to be unsafe.
http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs-release.html#1.41.9

Best

A. Mani

--