thunderbird / preferred web browser

Hi,
How does one configure a custom preferred web browser that opens when clicking on a link in an email in thunderbird? I installed a trunk build of Firefox in /opt/firefox but when I specify "/opt/firefox/firefox -P exp" as a preferred application then I only get a new window with the default mozilla homepage and not the url i clicked on. I also called a shell-script that dumps $* into a logfile which ends up empty so I wonder how that URL is passed to the called app if not as a parameter?

Regards,
  Dennis