Re: system-config-display in F12 Beta fails with nouveau/Nvidia FX5200

On 10/26/2009 09:20 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 09:18 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 10/26/2009 07:20 AM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>>> I installed F12 Beta from scratch, and X11 was installed on my
>>> 1280x1024 screen correctly (Video card Nvidia FX5200) with the nouveau
>>> driver.
>>>
>>> Now I tried to install a new xorg.conf by using system-config-display
>>> (for experimental reasons), but it failed with and without the
>>> --reconfig option.
>>>
>>> Somebody made similar experiences?
>>>

>> I have seen some [DRM] complaint during boot up on my laptop that has
>> Nvidia Quadro FX 570M does not grind the machine to halt thou..
>>
>> Did it work correctly without an xorg.conf and you decided to create one
>> for the fun of it or did it not work after install and you were forced
>> to create an xorg.conf to circumvent the problem?  ( Note you should not
>> need to create a xorg.conf file )
>>
> Hi JBG,
>
> as I told in my previous email, it came up correctly when I installed
> F12 Beta without changes.
>
> It did not work correctly when trying to create for fun a new
> xorg.conf (I wanted to test a reduced resolution 1024x768).

Well you can reduce the resolution using in Gnome for instance
Preference --> Display or via terminal xrandr -s 1024x768
without the need to actually create an xorg.conf. But you should file a
report against s-c-d and attache the created xorg.conf along with xorg
log file encase it's generating it incorrectly..

Also see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf

JBG
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B. Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Taeknigardi;;Dunhagi 5;Reykjavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg hi is
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801