system-config-display in F12 Beta fails with nouveau/Nvidia FX5200

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 06:19:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 07:02 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> this may be OK, but, rather weird,  my system contains *no* xorg.conf,
> but it is fully running with the Gnome desktop. How to modify a
> no-existing file :-)

Well if it's working there's not a problem? I was only advising what to
do if s-c-d generates an xorg.conf for you which tries to use nv, and
consequently X fails. If X is working, you don't need to do anything.

If there's no xorg.conf (which is quite usual for the last few releases,
it's the default situation) then you're just using X.org's own
auto-detection routines, which will choose nouveau. Which is what we
wanted.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey