Nouveau doesn't play nice with vanilla kernels

As the title says, if I boot a git kernel (Linus' tree), plymouth doesn't work, nor does X start. I have to change the graphics driver to nv in xorg.conf and restart in order to get the git kernel working with X, but then the Fedora kernels won't start X with the nv driver. Anyone else having these problems?