theora screencasting not working in F12

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 20:36:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 18:20 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> I perceived Kamil's message just as Gregory.  If it had been me I would
> have filed those bugs against istanbul or recordmydesktop regardless of
> that the "How to test" section of Thusnelda feature page does not
> contain any Test cases for testers to test and to provide feed back
> from. AFAIK there was never request [1] to QA to assist and set aside a
> test day to test Thusnelda ( or a mail sent to this list asking testers
> to test ) not even a reply to [2] and goes without saying if maintainers
> don't coordinate with QA or ask testers to test their feature ( which
> can be as simple as sending a mail to this list ) it wont get tested and
> thus it can be utterly broken which obviously means that marking feature
> 100% feature done is by all meaningless unless there are some QA/testing
> done to confirm it...

So, I think there's a number of things to say here:

1. The Thusnelda feature is not about making desktop recording work
great. It is about including a new Theora encoder in Fedora.

2. I disagree with 'if you don't send a mail to this list your feature
will be broken'. xiph.org has its own community of developers and
testers, and theora has testsuites, etc.

3. The Thusnelda feature was weak on the test plan, indeed.

4. An 'Awesome desktop recording' feature would be nice, and in many
aspects would be much better to put on the feature list than
'Thusnelda'.