How in the blue blazes does cron work these days?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Wed Oct 28 01:13:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 00:41 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
> New fedora 12 system: There is nothing in /etc/anacrontab, there is nothing
> in /etc/crontab, there is nothing but comments in all files in /etc/cron.d,
> there is nothing in /var/spool/cron, there is nothing in /etc/sysconfig/cron.
> Running "strings" on crond doesn't reveal any other path names.
>
> Why then is cron running and /var/log/cron recording cron jobs that execute
> from the /etc/cron.daily directory, etc?
>
> Where the devil has cron configuration been hidden now? Why doesn't the man
> page for cron or anacron mention it? What is going on?

If you did a fresh install as of late, the /etc/anacrontab does have the
settings for cron to run.

If you been doing rawhide upgrades, then I *think* it started with
anacrontab, moved to another files (starts with r maybe?) and now back
to anacrontab.  Least I think that is what happened.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"