Re: Fedora Server distro?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 02:23:46PM +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> Rob Healey kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 28.
> lokakuuta 2009):
> >
> > Yes, but I never have played around with CentOS yet...  I saw
> > that you were able to create a server out of yours, but do you
> > know if there is a CentOS Server distro or would you be
> > willing to write up a howto on how you did it?
> Here's a howto:
> 1. Download install media from
> http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=15
> 2. Install on hardware suitable for use as a server.
> 3. Choose the server software packages you want either during
> installation, or afterwards using Add/Remove Software or yum.
> 4. Configure the services (see documentation at:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/ )

I think Markku covered it pretty well.  The only thing I might add is
that *I* like to just download the first CD, then, during installation
(which is quite similar to Fedora's) and uncheck everything, including
base system.  This will give you a minimal installation, suitable for
customizing.  Many folks don't want X on a server.

There is a forum (though not that active) and also a wiki, covering
several server aspects.

Also Rob, not sure what mailer you're using (maybe a cell phone?), but
it gets difficult to tell which text was yours and what was the text to
which you were responding, at least when using mutt.

Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: So. You saw their faces, but you can't describe
Spike: Well, they were human. Two eyes each, kind of in the middle.