2009-10-22 - Power Management Test Day report

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 13:40:29 UTC 2009

Here a short report from the Power Management Fedora Test day on
10/22/09 [1]. First of all many thanks to all the people who
participated in it and who reported their findings. In order to make
things easier for testers and to make sure we get a lot more stable and
comparable results Marcela Maslanova, Jan Vcelak and Petr Lautrbach put
together a rpm that consisted of all our test scripts, an easy
call-script to easily run them and a "collect" script to pack together
all results. Additionally the rpm itself has requirements against all
the packages we needed for the tests, so a simple installation of the
testday rpm provided a solid and easy method for every tester. This
worked out really well and made test results very consistent.
Unfortunately time ran out for including the automatic upload script
from Mike McGrath and the ALPM test script, but that didn't seem to pose
a big problem, roughly half of the testers provided results for ALPM as
well.

We got 30 results overall with half of them including ALPM test results,
too. Overall the results showed us what we wanted to know:

  - The tools we're shipping are working as expected, no crashes or
anything like that observed
  - Wakeups and system behavior in genereral in comparison to our Fedora
11 test day doesn't show any regressions
  - New features seem to be working as expected

Rudolf Kastel discovered one strange bug with one of the profiles which
we couldn't reproduce yet, but we're still investigating with him.

All in all the whole test day was a real success. Especially the great
idea of Marcela, Jan and Petr to make a rpm for the testday which
automated a lot of the work that needed to be done.

For the next testday we already plan to expand that idea and include the
automated upload script which will make it even easier for the testers.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-10-22

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Team Lead Core Services      | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111