Rawhide KVM not ready for Prime Time

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Sep 21 09:56:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

"Problems with KVM in rawhide" would be a better than "not read for
Prime Time", thanks

Please, please, please file bugs rather than disabling SELinux or
discounting KVM as "not ready":

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Reporting_virtualization_bugs

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 02:39 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> A few attempts to get XP running under KVM failed.
> Finally I loaded a fresh Rawhide 64 and was able
> to load XP using the XP profile.

Okay, sounds like whatever that problem was is fixed.

> This VM refuses to run if no CD is in the drive.

Known issue specific to Windows guest installs, we really should fix
this for F12:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/473154

> The first time I tried mapping a network drive resulted
> in the Blue Screen of Death.  Perhaps SElinux - so no more
> SELinux.

Why do you think this is related to SELinux?

> The Windows ftp program could log in but not get a
> directory listing.

Strange.

> It turns out the i icon is not for information but also
> fo modifying the VM.  It should have a wrench on it,
> not the letter i which is Apple territory anyway.
>
> I mapped the Oregon Scientific weather station USB
> address but the Oregon Scientific application could
> not see the device.  I mapped the upstream usb
> controller also but to no avail.

Any errors in /var/log/libvirt/qemu ?

> No sound but I have not investigated that yet.

Known issue:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/508317

Thanks,
Mark.