Preupgrade to rawhide?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 14:52:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 13:02 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 04:06 +0300, shmuel siegel wrote:
> >

> >> Mixed bag results. Turning on the xdriver=vesa let the preupgrade run. I
> >> now have an X-less fc12 system. I don't know what the system is trying
> >> to run. Xorg.0.log has many messages from nouveau (including GPU freeze)
> >> even though the command line said vesa and xorg.conf said nv. I didn't
> >> come up with a combination that worked.
> >>

> > xdriver=vesa will only work for install. to stick to vesa (or nv) once
> > the system's installed you need a valid xorg.conf. Can you paste the
> > xorg.conf you're trying to use, and the Xorg.0.log?
> >

> sorry the nouveau messages were coming form dmesg not xorg.log.
> I am enclosing xorg.conf, a dmesg output, and a xorg.logs with init 5 or
> init3 with startx
> At the risk of misleading you, it seems that nouveau is registering
> itself as the driver and not letting nv take over.

Almost. people tend to not fully comprehend that, these days, most X.org
drivers consist of at least two components: a kernel module and an X.org
driver (and you can add a Mesa DRI library to that, for many that
support 3D).

What's happening here is the nouveau kernel driver is getting
automatically loaded, and that's stopping the nv X.org driver from
block the nouveau kernel module from loading if you configure nv as the
X.org driver; I'll file a bug for that. To do it manually, just add this
line to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ (you can call the file anything you
like, as long as it ends in .conf - for
e.g. /etc/modprobe.d/no_nouveau.conf ):

blacklist nouveau

then either reboot, or just run 'rmmod nouveau' as root and restart X.

Have you filed a bug on the fact that nouveau does not work with your
chipset? If not, could you do so, and include the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and dmesg logs? (If you have, what's the URL?) Thanks!

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey