QA test for L10N

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 13:48:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 15:43 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Hi translators and testers
>
> Regarding the following task entries of F13, recently I have contacted
> QA team (f-test-l) for live image creation and heard positive replies.
> So I like to reopen different thread to discuss entire picture with QA
> team and L10N team together. Please throw your idea and improve this
> event better. If any doubt/question, pls do ask.

My first thought when seeing the previous thread where to ask whether
your testing instructions were documented already.  We have test cases
for the Fedora 12 i18n test day [1], so if this is a common sequence of
tasks that you'd like to encourage others to follow, this might help.
If you have more than just a series of test cases (perhaps a higher
strategy, organization and pass/fail criteria), I might suggest a
lightweight test plan [2].

> As you can notice, it is my bad expressing this in several way such as
> 'QA test for L10N', 'Review task', 'QA event' etc. What is the best to
> describe?

We hosted i18n focused Test Days in previous releases and I believe they
worked rather well to organize folks around a common goal.  I don't see
any problems using that vehicle for Fedora 13 if there is a sufficient
amount of work that can be distributed.  If you'd like more information,
take a look at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/SOP_Test_Day_management.  We'll be
happy to assist in setting up an event.

> For newer translators and testers, this event has just started since
> Fedora 12. The background is that translators are usually working on PO
> file only and unable to check the quality of translation how it appears
> in GUI. Thus to allow translators to review translation in GUI for high
> quality translation, this event has been added with FESCo approval.
>
> [f13-trans-tasks]
> * Build F-13 collection packages for all language translators
>     (Wed 2010-03-03  	Fri 2010-03-05)
>
> * Review and correct software translation in built UI
>     (Mon 2010-03-08 Tue 2010-03-16)
>
> [Steps]
> 1. Remind devel-announce for building F13 packages with latest
> translation by 2010-03-04.
> 2. QA team places nightly-compose of 2010-03-05 at specific location,
> and make it available during review period.
> 3. Translators and testers start QA test (review) during 2010-03-08 and
> 2010-03-16.
> 4. Packagers fix bugs to include them into final build for GA.
>
> I am thinking to create simple packages list with how-to-access-gui. Any
> finding which needs packager's action should be reported as a bug [1].

Would this be useful information to document on the wiki?  Perhaps as a
QA [3] or L10N SOP?

Thanks,
James

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:I18n_Test_Cases