F12/Rawhide+nomodset vs. F11 radeon r700 support

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Jan 5 18:56:54 UTC 2010

On 01/05/2010 06:56 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 16:48 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> this is and the
>> output from lspci
>
> there's no need for this on X.org bugs, the Xorg.0.log file contains
> sufficient information on the graphics hardware.

This bug seems to be both a KMS bug and a Xorg bug. I can get boot into
runlevel 3 but the display isn't initialized properly and the only way I
got some of the debug information attached to the bug was by blindly
logging in, setting up sshd and then logging in from another machine.

The second problem is that when I boot with nomodeset I get to the desktop
but it is so slow it cannot be used for regular work. I'm not sure if that
is a bug or because the radeon driver now requires KMS for any sort of 2D
acceleration.

Regards,
   Dennis