Missing F12 development package

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 9 05:12:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 21:47 -0600, Jim Haynes wrote:
> I want to try a 2.6.32 kernel in my x86_64 machine, so I went to
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/x86_64/os/
> Packages    and found the kernel package - but rpm says it needs a
> kernel-firmware package to install it and there is no such package.

This is a Rawhide directory, so

 yum install kernel --enablerepo=rawhide\*

will find that packages and its dependencies for you.  When I do that
from Fedora 12, it actually wants a package called linux-firmware, which
*is* in the directory you are looking at.

If you go the yum route, hopefully you can undo the install with "yum
history"; see the manpage for details.

-B.