[Fedora-trans-ar] Our beloved qamoose

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Wed Dec 15 19:46:47 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Arbi'a 03 Thu al-Qi`dah 1425 4:47 pm, Mohammad Ghoniem wrote:

> >You mean this is a feature/(?) on Firefox specifically to convert text
> > outside the iso-8859-1 characters to UTF-8 and it's not available in IE?
>
> Yes. I have not played around with IE enough to know how it behaves
> exactly and how to tune that behavior to comply with a user-preferred
> setting. As far as I have seen, it will be sending windows-1256
> characters by default.

Although this thread is going off-topic but I see it as something very
important in arabizing CMS websites. My lack of time to check mambo source
and understand this esoteric thing is definitely a shame ;)

With my humble PHP/MySQL skills, I made a page on the fly that contains one
text box and a submit button to store the text in the database and redisplaly
the text upon the button click. I opened the page using FireFox and typed
arabic with different encoding each time. And as I expected changing the
encoding will make the text garbage.

Ghoneim, Desokey! If you can make some lines of code that demonstrate it, it
will be great! (Home Work ;))

Sherif! You are the person responsible of this magic. If we fail you have to
explain it by example or !@#$%^

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA