[Fedora-trans-ar] Glossary - release / version

Sherif Abdelgawad sabdelg at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 12:10:25 UTC 2004

Mohammed,
      Let us first make sure we understand what is the Release and what is
the Version
so we can translate this right.

For example , if you have an RPM bash-2.05b-29.0.3.i386.rpm

Version: This is main number which keep tracks of new package. This is the
main
              one, like in our example of bash RPM it is 2.05b

Release:  This is the minor number, due to little changes, or patches, bug
fixes ..etc.
               In our example it is 29.0.3

Taking this I would say Version is اصدار and Release is نسخة

We will need a translation to reflect the meaning. I have been reading
through
the translation, and I found in some of the files, that there are
translation which
is just the right word in arabic, yet it did loose the meaning.

I would like to suggest that we will need to covey the right meaning rather
to stick with the 1-1 translation. Any suggesstion here?

Thanks

Sherif