[Fedora-trans-ar] It's time for some one else to take maintainership

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Mon Sep 6 15:42:06 UTC 2004

On Yaum al-Ahad 20 Rajab 1425 22:19, Sherif Abdelgawad wrote:
> Muzir .. Do you really want to step down and leave maintainership ?
> I do not want you to do that yet if this is your wish, we will need
> to vote for new one.

Well, I wouldn't speak about it so frankly but your many messages force me to
explain it better, especially for those who has no previous background about
what has happened on the Fedora list. I just want to remove any
misunderstanding regarding the topic.

Once upon a time I was doing translation and contribution through
arabeyes.org. I am doing this in my very limited time. I did try to move the
translation project to a better situation and I have some good relation with
KACST (King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology). They agreed to
support the project and let me work full time on translation with other
translators for a specified time. (I haven't received a single additional
penny for this but) I was very happy that time and was eager to work
intensively to improve the translation. I send a message to arabeyes asking
for being the maintainer of KDE for one month only so I can utilize the power
under my hand better. To my surprise arabeyes refused it and let me feel as
if I am taking something from them. For the record KDE translation that time
was in a stagnancy and the maintainer is not within reach. When they felt it,
they assigned the maintainership to a very smart and good guy whom I respect
a lot (isam bayazidi). But Isam was very busy that time to the degree that
many files we translated are not committed to this minute. Arabeyes is very
conservative about changes and this has forced me to be very cautious when
speaking about maintainership again. The one who has time should be the
maintainer and Maha is completely right when she mentioned
"Free One Comes First":

I could speak more about it but let's stop here and I think you got the idea
I want to make clear that I am not running after being a maintainer
and never feel this let's you a better man. There are more capable people
here no doubt but if they can't save more time than me, I would continue
doing it. For me, Fedora is always a priority.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA