[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #29: Some Arabic fonts doesn't display any character in Qt

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Wed Apr 27 08:49:27 UTC 2005

Hi Munzir,

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 23:08, Munzir Taha wrote:
> On Yaum al-Khamees 29 Muharram 1426 07:31, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > Qt 4.0.0-b2-snapshot-20050308
> > System: Linux 2.6.10-1mdk i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > CODE:
> > QApplication::setFont(QFont("Arabic Transparent", 72));
> > QTextEdit *text = new QTextEdit(trUtf8("بس"));

> > Nothing is displayed in QTextEdit though two characters are passed to the
> > constructor.
>
> Now I can even say that Qt handling of fonts is very buggy. I checked with
> your demos/textedit/textedit:

I checked, and I found a bug when using very large fonts. I fixed that now
(for tomorrows snapshot).

> Arabic Transparent: doesn't show letters at all or show them broken
> Diwani Letter: shows gaps and spacing between the letters

Both work fine for me (after my last fix even at large sizes).

> Hesham Gornata and hundereds of my fonts: are not even considered as fonts;
> they change nothing.

That font is broken. It doesn't support Unicode at least. Try
"ftview -e unic -f 1536 24 hgornata.ttf". This shows you the unicode character
map of the font starting at U+0600 (the arabic range). You'll see that the
font does not contain any arabic glyphs in this range.

Regards,
Lars