[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #26: The origin in RTL layout should be positioned at the right edge of the window

Munzir Taha munzirtaha at newhorizons.com.sa
Sun Jun 12 05:14:33 UTC 2005

في يوم الثّلاثاء 04 صفر 1426 17:53, كتب Munzir Taha:
> On Yaum al-Ahad 02 Safar 1426 19:43, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 March 2005 10:55, Munzir Taha wrote:
> > > Now what would happen is that the window would appear on the top-left
> > > corner of my screen which is ok for LTR languages but not for RTL
> > > languages. The correct layout is to have it on the top-right corner for
> > > RTL lanugages. The point is the same code should display on different
> > > positions according the layoutDirection. Am I missing something
> > > obvious?
> >
> > You do. Positioning of windows on Unix/X11 isn't done by the application
> > or the toolkit, but by the window manager.
>
> Does this imply that there is a way to do it in MS Windows? How?
>
> Matthias, you know better for sure but all I am asking for is to deal with
> RTL and LTR adequately. Isn't setGeometry a function of Qt or is it related
> to X11? I can now do:
>
>         QTextEdit *text = new QTextEdit;
>         text->setGeometry(200, 50, 500, 500); // Postive x,y For LTR
>
> I want to be able to do something like
>
>         QTextEdit *text = new QTextEdit;
>         text->setGeometry(-200, -50, 500, 500); // Negative x,y for RTL

I am trying to clean the bugs a little so please confirm whether this is a
valid bug or not. Though I was convinced that it's not practical nor
necessarily useful to change the origin position but is using negative
numbers to measure from the other side not useful?

In X11 I can say something like
-geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF

where I can use -XOFF where the right edge of the window is to be  placed
XOFF  pixels  in from  the  right  edge of the screen. and -YOFF where ...

Shoud this go on setGeometry member function or is something one needs to code
manually for some reason?

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available