[Fedora-trans-ar] Re: Arabic issue #27: QFontDialog::getFont doesn't display the sample text in the language of the font

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Tue Mar 8 15:26:43 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 11:27, Munzir Taha wrote:
> On Yau al-Thulatha 27 Muharram 1426 11:29, Lars Knoll wrote:
> > > PROBLEM:
> > > The QFontDialog box doesn't display the sample text in the
> > > language/characters available. I expect to see Arabic letters when I
> > > select Fonts with only Arabic letters available. This should be
> > > detected automatically if possible. Otherwise, in case of fonts which
> > > supports many languages there should be a Language combo box as in
> > > OpenOffice.org.
> >
> > Which is difficult. What's the default language of e.g. Tahoma, that
> > support all of Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew and maybe 3 or 4
> > others?
>
> Lars! Never have I mentioned something about a default language. I
> mentioned that if the font supports only one language then its characters
> should be displayed. I also mentioned that in the case of fonts which
> supports many languages the user _should_ specify the language on which he
> want to see the sample. Or else why do we need that sample text? Only for
> English? Is it fair?

As you might have noticed, the sample chars vary with teh writing system you
set in the font dialog. The writing system enum also limits the fonts to
those that can display. So if you set the writing system to "arabic" you are
guaranteed that all the fonts you get in the family list support arabic.

What QFontDialog should probably do is to pick the initially selected writing
system according to the systems locale.

Lars