[Fedora-trans-ar] foss.org.sa a work in progress ....

Sherif AbdElGawad sherif at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 15:09:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 02:15 +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:
> I would be happy to answer all your questions. I even called you in your cell
> sometime ago but didn't receive a reply and failed to put a message for your
> answer machine.

Sorry that you could not get through .. I have been traveling
extensively. I will be happy to give you a call, just SMS your
number as I changed phones and lost yours :)

Yet, also I would like to have discussion on the mailing list so
everyone is aware of what is happening. At least we can put the high
level plan here ?

> The goal is to have an easy web interface for translation. Many people don't
> like to install new programs and read documents on how to deal with .po
> files. In short it makes translation easier.

Sounds good .. I still need to know how this goal will be achieved :)

> > How
> > we can integrate or add on if needed ?
>
> I will add you as the maintainer of Fedora project so you would be able to
> upload any files or sync the .po with the new .pot files from the web
> interface without the need of doing msgmerge and the like. I would also be
> able to do the same in case you got busy.

Whatever it takes to make sure we are working from the updated fedora
CVS and that we contribute back to the CVS :) Automation and not
depending on one person would be the best.

> > who administrate the site ?
>
> me.

Good :)

> > > I would also appreciate it if you took a look at
> > > http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/guide/translation/arabic_plurals
> > > and commented whether you agree on those rules. A step towards a better
> > > translation.
> >
> > This looks good .. Can we also contribute same thing or maintain
> > something on the RH Fedora project page , or maybe just link ?
>
> Sure feel free add a link or copy the document. Later we would fix the plural
> translation in Fedora inshallah. There is also an important issue that needs
> to be documented and clarified brought to my intention (by kalila) that any
> translator can crash/segfault the application if he is not careful in dealing
> with these plural forms.

Fedora project under redhat.com has Wiki and will be good to contribute
these stuff as we update it to mainstream or at least make sure it is
linked. I would say we contribute it to mainstream. It will be easier
for feature updates that whoever maintain this contribute it also to
fedora page.

> > Great start, keep up the good work :)
>
> Thanks and I would call you later. We consider you our official connection
> with RedHat/Fedora and we would be happy to make good relations and
> cooperation with them and help in or sponsoring some of the projects related
> to Arabic. I would be available in my personal channel #munzir at freenode
> the coming days in case you want to catch me to discuss it more. I know
> chatting is much better than emailing in these kinda things.

I will try to find good time for both of us to chat on irc. If not as I
said before just SMS so I can have your number :) You should also send
this plan to fedora-trans main mailing list to let them know.

Sherif