Sinhalese rabbithole (si)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Apr 24 15:04:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:00:23PM -0700, Malinda Siriwardana wrote:
> I need some detail about this project and how it can
> be done.  Is it a mannual transtation process or a
> special translation tool used.  If it is a mannual
> translation we could join you and it would be

The main tools you need are someone who can use CVS and
also people who can edit text files.

If it does not already exist someone will also have to generate a
locale description, which is a bit more complex but requires knowledge
rather than special tools.

IMHO it also helps to have
	-	An "official" master list of words for things like
		Preferences, Options, Configure.., Save As .. etc
	-	At least one person with very strong language skills
		as editor/overseer to get consistency and style.

For some languages the bigger problem may be fonts.

Several translation groups have things like indexes of phrases,
status pages and other web tools you could also adapt.