To clarify a few issues

Sarah Wang sarahs at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 23:46:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to apologize for not being very responsive lately.

To clarify a few issues raised on the list:

1) directory structure:
"translate" is not a "real" module. It's composed of all po/ directories
of all packages. Whenever a new package is created and contains po files
need to be translated, the po/ directory is added to "translate" module
definition. So you can't use "cvs co <package-name>/<filename>" to get
the po files.
When a new package is added to "translate" module, there are a few ways
to check it out from cvs:
a) "cvs up -d" in your translate/ directory (may or maynot work)
b) "cvs co po-<package-name>" in your translate/ directory
c) go one directory about your translate/ directory, then "cvs up
translate/", "cvs co translate/" again (you don't need to remove
existing files, they will be automatically skipped)

2) Total number of entries
As the package maintainer don't create/merge po files when the pot file
is created/modified, and we don't have automatic merge feature in the
pre-commit check yet, the number of entries for each locale in each
package vary a great deal. Please manually compare your po file with pot
file (use msgmerge) before starting translation. I'm definitely in
favour of this to be done automatically, and would like to get the
pre-commit check implemented soonish.

3) ssh key updates
Yes it's an administrative intensive process right now when you lose
your key or forget your passphrase and have to update the key. Again I'm
firmly in favour of having a mechanism in place so everyone can update
the key whenever is needed. Like the pre-commit check, I'd like to get
this implemented soonish.

4) Automatically assign maintainer
Someone suggested to have the maintainer automatically assigned whenever
a new module is added. Not all locales have one single maintainer for
all packages. Since this is not universal it can't be done automatically
for all locales, however, we may be able to compose a list of locales
that have one single maintainer and somehow semi-automate the process.

If you have more suggestions or feature requests regarding current
process, feel free to post to this list.

Regards,
Sarah