Annoucement: New translation status page is installed

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Jul 4 13:18:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 02:05:23AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> As you've probably guessed, I, like most other maintainers, don't trust
> people to do the right by default. I want a mandatory intermediate step
> (review) to catch potential problems *before* they get committed. This
> is nothing really new, ask any software maintainer... It seems absurd
> that we are even arguing about this.

I'd agree with you for a lot of languages. When there is an established
translation group anyone coming from outside even if they are a great
linguist isn't going to be able to do the job well. There are too many
"correct" ways to translate something to translate one file or even one
project alone. For some languages this is really important because the culture
cares rather a lot about such matters (Welsh is another such example).

So I'd agree entirely with Christian's sentiment that where there is a
*known* regular and active fedora translation project already accepted across
the community of upstream packages (particularly desktop packages) then that
appointed person should be doing the approval for translations and access
to that translation.