help posting relnotes to Web

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:40:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 08:41 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> If anyone has a few minutes, can you help me by posting the latest
> release-notes from CVS to the Web?
>
> You can follow the pages from http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-
> notes with new links for FC5 test2.  test1 can be left in the table
> below and test2 highlighted.
>
> The Tip box has two kind of links:
>
> * The first is to the absolute latest in CVS HEAD.
>
> * The second to what is tagged FC-5-TEST2-TRANS-FREEZE.
>
> There may be more languages available in HEAD, please test by
> uncommenting in the Makefile and running test builds, along with what
> you know from fedora-docs-commits.
>
> I will check back in a few hours and see if help is needed.

Karsten,

Sorry I missed this email in the morning -- I was working from another
system and didn't check email at the time.  I wasn't sure what the deal
was with dealing with non-HEAD builds, so I couldn't handle that part.
What I *did* do:

1. Using the "${FDPBIN}/db2rpm-info" script, I created a skeleton
"rpm-info.xml" file.  This file is now *REQUIRED* to do builds.  I think
Tommy and/or I noted this in on-list posts, but it probably could stand
more emphasis.  Assuming your document parent file is called
"mydoc-en.xml", just run:

   $ cd ~/fedora/docs/mydoc/
   $ ../docs-common/bin/db2rpm-info mydoc-en.xml > rpm-info.xml

   (Only do this when you first create rpm-info.xml, obviously.)

2. I copied the translated titles for the relnotes into the
"rpm-info.xml" file.  (The desc element for each lang still needs
translation; the lang="en" version is filled in for reference by
translators.)

3. I did a normal build and publish routine for HEAD, installing into
the docs/relnotes/fc5/test2-latest-${LANG} directories.

4. I added docs/relnotes/fc5/test2-${LANG} directories into which the
frozen tag versions can be installed, but again, I wasn't confident
about doing this right, so I figured the HEAD was more important to get
out there.

I should note that I started work on DocGuide v2 this weekend, which
will include this information of course, but I encourage everyone to get
active and ask questions on the fedora-docs-list if they are having
problems building anything or understanding what's changing.  I'm
copying the f-trans-l in case I miss any of our wonderful and helpful
translators who are doing such an AMAZING job getting this content
ready.  Seriously, you guys rock.