XML2PO is weird!

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Sun Mar 5 18:45:54 UTC 2006

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> > I wonder who suggested that, it's IMHO close to be broken beyond repair.
> > Asking to modify the structure while preserving parameter entities in
> > the internal subset mean at the same time to maintain the textual serialization
> > and to manipulate the document at the structure level, it is near impossible.

Ah, cognoscenti insight at last.

In terms that even I understand, the problem is that xml2po(1)
strains to handle a construct like this:

	<!ENTITY % FOO SYSTEM "foo.xml">
	&FOO;

in the local DTD part of the <DOCTYPE> element; that's the stuff
between the '[]' characters.

Ordinary <!ENTITY> elements, such as:

	<!ENTITY INSERT-ME SYSTEM "/a/b/c.xml">

and then later, in the document proper:

	&INSERT-ME;

are handled fine. We should be using an <xi:include> for that anyway,
so the document authors need to be given a new practice standard.

Thank you very much for the help; Houston, we have a plan!

--
I'm already an anomaly, I shall soon be an anachronism, and I have
every intention of dying an abuse!