Re: Automerge .po files with .pot files !

A S Alam લખ્યું:
Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ਨੇ ਲਿਖਿਆ:
Hi,

I would like to raise the issue of automatic merge of .po files again. I have gone through the following threads. Please read them if you haven't.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2006-August/msg00023.html ( Agree ) https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2006-July/msg00032.html ( Not Agree )

Fedora translation repository is extracted from original fedora applications' sources. All translators/localizers are provided access to translation repository only, which is correct. Whenever developer (package maintainer) make changes in the source code, s/he make the changes in the .pot file respectively, but not .po files for all languages. I agree that few developers modify .po files also along with .pot which is good for translators/localizers. But what about those packages in which only .pot file is updated and .po files are not, which is not at all helpful. agree, but that provide more freedom to people to merge their
translation as they required, yes different Number of strings
may be issue, for this,
we can ask Developers to send mail to mailing list when
POT files are updated by them.

Developers, are always busy. The best example is go through bugs. You will get to know how much busy they are. Automerge process doesn't require any human interaction. I have developed such script, if you like you can use it, and put it as a cron job.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/indianoss/automerge.sh?download

you know size of Specspo?
[aalam aalam specspo]$ du -h --max-depth=0
88M     .

If size is the only issue which, then we could divide the translation repository according to the modules, just like gnome, kde, repositories. So, that Language maintainers have to check out only particular language file of a particular module. This may solve bandwidth issue also.
if it will automatic merge strings and it will be update all files for 70+ languages, (where few active languages), then Most Translators
would not like to download Huge data on their machines without
any reason and where bandwidth is limited, not hope for
broadband for everywhere

more suggestion are welcomed
My way of thinking about this matter might be different. So, if anything else you have please let me know. But, in my humble opinion and you can see all responses sent by Localizers all over the world, everybody like to automate this process.

Ankit Patel
Language Maintainer (Gujarati)
http://www.indianoss.org/