Name for our domain

Diego Búrigo Zacarão diegobz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:06:10 UTC 2007

2007/6/19, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com>:

> The Infra group is in the process of deploying our website on non-testing
> Fedora
> servers and they are asking us about our domain name. So we have two
> choices:
>
> 1. l10n.fedoraproject.org
> 2. translate.fedoraproject.org
>
> The first one is more precise, because we are not only doing translations
> but
> work on the whole spectrum of making Fedora more reachable in local
> communities.
> Also, it is in line with GNOME, KDE, and other projects.
>
> The problem with it is that people don't know what L10n is (let alone that
> some
> read it as 110). Even experienced programmers don't know its difference
> with
> i18n (last week I answered at least 4 such questions). The difference is
> neither
> important nor precisely distinguishable, especially in Fedora. Most people
> I've
> talked with agree to use 2 and keep the technical details on our wiki
> pages.

Well, I think the first one (1) better, because we will have a website to
"localization". The word "translate" is not localizable in URL. So, in
languages no-english can be more easy/friendly to use "l10n".

L10N is used in our page at wiki already. (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N)

If the problem is the people don't know what L10N is, we must to explain
more about that in our websites/docs.
Mainly in translation-quick-start-guide and /wiki/L10N/Join

A person that want to work on localization of the Fedora Project must to
know what is L10N!

my $0.02

--
Diego Búrigo Zacarão