Wiki localization

Justin Towson grfpopl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 08:00:02 UTC 2007

I've seen various wiki's with automatic localization features as well,
and thought I'd just throw in a few ideas.

(As a specific example, the Debian main page) Some pages will detect
locale and automatically select the display language with of course is
an extremely useful feature.  Some wiki's however check and set this
on every page, which especially for situations which you would want to
look through a site in a certain language for reference or whatever,
this feature is extremely annoying.

In fact I was looking through some sites on my friend's Korean
computer, which I don't read at all, so I attempted to set the website
in English, since there is a link to all languages on every page.  I
quickly found out even setting a page in English,
navigating through site reverted back to Korean on every click-through.

Maybe not the highest priority feature, and I understand there are
limitations with wiki code and cookies and stuff, but in terms of
usability, possibly something to consider.

Justin Towson