moving all .po files to UTF-8

Keld Jørn Simonsen keld at dkuug.dk
Fri Mar 2 22:03:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 01:24:53AM +0000, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> O/H Bill Nottingham ????????????:
> > A recent thread on the fedora development list discussed the benefits
> > of having the translations in UTF-8 by default:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-March/msg00056.html
> >
> > Rather than doing it at build time, for all the software that's translated
> > in/by Fedora, it seems simplest to do it in the .po files itself. Therefore,
> > at some point in the next few days, we intend to do this in the CVS
> > repository.
> >
> > Does anyone forsee any issues with this?

I am not happy about this, and in general I think it is the wrong way to
go. Eg. all my own tools for translation are using other charsets than
UTF-8, and also, if the best charset for the source, according to a
specific translator, would be something else than utf-8, and cvs is a
source control system, then the cvs repository should store the source,
and not something derived from the source.

Best regards
keld