[Fwd: Translations: String freezes, CVS converging, Packaging]

Samuel Bizien samuel-bizien at club-internet.fr
Wed Mar 7 17:14:48 UTC 2007

Le mardi 06 mars 2007 à 22:24 +0000, Dimitris Glezos a écrit :

> ## Packaging translations
>
> One final plan (and probably the one that needs most discussion) is about
> changing the way we package translations. Right now PO files live inside the
> application and are packaged there (GNOME-style). The plan is to move the PO
> files in to their own directory and distinct package [4] (KDE-style langpacks).
>
>   [4]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Projects/TranslationsPackage
>
> Cons: L10n team should maintain a package (or many) and packages should be
> altered to accomodate the different locations of PO files.
>
> Pros (many): increased modularity and maintenance (L10n repackages at
> will). App packages will be smaller in size -- we could provide
> one langpack or different ones per language.
>

> Comments, suggestions?

Great !

This idea will be _reallly_ useful, for those (like me) who always
delete all translation files that are not needed for my system (to fit
the system to a liveCD, for example).
But, when you say "L10n team should maintain a package", who will do
it ? Translators, for each language ?

Samuel Bizien.

PS: sorry for errors ... I'm translating into french, not into
english ;) .