What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Lauri Nurmi lanurmi at iki.fi
Tue Dec 9 19:22:40 UTC 2008

ti, 2008-12-09 kello 17:59 +0100, Thomas Spura kirjoitti:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 01:25 +0100 schrieb Robert Scheck:
> > Our German translation is only quantitative, not qualitative. And the worse
> > thing is, the team leader of the German translation team finds the current
> > position and its current status okay. That's wrong and never should happen.
> > If a German person is not able to understand the context of a translated
> > sentence, the phrase should not be commited.

> I think one big improvement, the translation team could do is setting up
> a pootle server do to the translations,

> It has several features, that are quite usefull like:
>
>  *suggestion mode: If a translator is unsure about the correct context
> of the translated sentence, he can make a suggestion and anyone else can
> prove the correctness. This would prevent to commiting 'horrible
> German'.

A human being is still required for going through the suggestions and
selecting which one of them is acceptable, if any.  In case anything is
acceptable, horrible German is not prevented in any way.

>  *web-based translation editor: This is helpfull, so anyone can do
> translations from everywhere without having to be on one's own system
> and nothing has to be installed locally.

But I thought the goal was to improve the quality of translations.  Do
you think "anyone from everywhere" produces better translations than the
current team?

If translating is made too easy, it encourages people with too little
motivation and skill to participate.  Allowing random people to
translate a few strings in a dozen random packages will not produce high
quality translations.  It will be quantity over quality.

-LN