Steering Committee formation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:25:41 UTC 2008

Most if not all of the subprojects in Fedora follow the guidelines
established by the Board for defining projects, found here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects

I'm not a big fan of organization just for organization's sake, if it
stops people from being able to get things done.

But steering committees in subprojects are *good* for a number of
reasons, including identifying tasks, getting assignments made, and
tracking progress.  A steering committee serves as a central
communication point between all the members of a subproject, other
subprojects, and the Fedora Project Board.  It also provides a unified
voice and opportunities for solid decision making, empowering community
leaders the contributors themselves identify and elect.

I encourage the L10N (Translation) Project to start talking about an
L10N Steering Committee.  I also encourage interested community members
to step up and serve as committee members to better organize and
communicate about all the great work that's being done in L10N.

Thanks to all contributors here for your hard work and incredible
progress in making Fedora available to users worldwide!