F10 Documentation

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 21:38:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/29 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:

>>> Can we get all 7 docs projects enabled in DL as well?
>>
>> I think Dimitris mentioned earlier that Damned Lies won't support
>> Publican's multiple POT files.  It would be great if Red Hat I18n/L10n
>> would collaborate with the community to help pave the way for
>> statistics reporting for these repos.  I don't know whether that means
>> fixing part of DL, or simply accelerating the rate at which
>> statistical support in Tx is written.  I know Dimitris, Asgeir, and
>> any of the other Tx developers would be thrilled to have some
>> assistance with this.
>
> Patches are welcome with champagnes and fireworks, as always. :D
>
>> In the meantime, Dimitris also suggested a workaround using some sort
>> of simple Python script.  I doubt that's been written yet, maybe
>> someone can help there?
>
> Here's a sample skeleton for such a script/scenario, for anyone who'd
> like to actually code it.
>
> -----------------------
> == Get the source ==
>
> First time:
> $ project-list = ['about', 'release-notes']
> $ for p in project-list:
>  git clone git://git.fedoraproject.org/git/{p}.git
>
> Later, to pull new changes:
> $ for p in project-list:
>  git fetch && ...
>
> == Calculate statistics ==
> $ wget http://.../fedora-docs-l10n-script.py
> $ python fedora-docs-l10n-script.py pt_BR
> pt_BR statistics:
> about: 80% (115T, 40F, 10U)
> release-notes: 80% (115T, 40F, 10U)
> -----------------------

If I remember correctly, publican actually has a 'genearate
translation statistics' make target that can even generate HTML.

Would it be ok If I set up a cron job that:
1) Puts translation statistics on a public web page (to make it
simple, e.g. my fedorapeople web space)
2) Sends updated statistics to fedora-trans-list daily, or even after
each 'submission' depending on how much we want to spam that list...

In addition, we could add a link to this stats through the front page
of translate.fedoraproject.org

Comments on this workflow is welcome, but I'll try to make sure we at
least have some statistics for our documentation SOON.

I guess the fedora infrastructure is in 'freeze' mode, so I'm not sure
how easy it would be to make the script run inside the
infrastructure... But the main concern now is giving translators some
statistics :)

But first for some breakfast...

cheers,
asgeir