Tuning Documentation & Translation schedules

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 11:14:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 02:21:24PM +0530, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel wrote:
> John Poelstra wrote:
>> Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel said the following on 09/29/2008 02:19
>> AM Pacific Time:
>>>
>>> Fedora Documentation team writes not only Release Notes but also
>>> guides like Installation Guide, Desktop User Guide, etc too. I
>>> wonder, why these documentation writing tasks are neither mentioned
>>> in Documentation schedule nor in translation schedule?
>>
>> Yes, this part of my "revelation" last week :)  We need to be very
>> explicit with the task names both in the documentation schedule and
>> the translation schedule.
>>

>>> Btw, I have got one more doubt. Why can't we put "Translate 0-day
>>> release notes for docs.fp.org" in the Launch phase as well, rather
>>> than in maintenance phase?
>>>

>> I put it in the maintenance phase because that is when it
>> occurs--after GA, which is when the maintenance of a release begins.
>> Is there an important reason why you would like to have it in the
>> "Launch Phases"?
>>
>> John
>
> Let me explain what I understand about "0-day changes". I think "0-day
> changes to release notes" means, the last minute changes came to
> release-notes writers. Please correct me, if I am wrong.

It's really "changes to support 0-day update," which might make it
clearer.  Docs has to prepare the final Release Notes for the GA
several weeks in advance so that composes can be tested, synced, etc.
Invariably there will be material that pops up in the meantime which
is important enough to have an update available for users to read on
release day.  So we do another round of content importing (not a lot,
usually), issue a new POT, have a few days for translators to
incrementally update the content, and publish package updates and Web
content.