how to translate .desktop files for multimedia-menus

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 23:46:56 UTC 2009

Hello list,

The new FedoraStudio feature we will have with F-12 comes with an
optional multimedia-menus package. By installing this package, users
will have a categorized Sound&Video/Multimedia menu in their desktop
menu.

The names of these submenus are defined in .desktop files. It appears
to be that the Name and Comment keys in these .desktop files need
translations. We have about 20-22 strings waiting for translation. I
couldn't find a way to make Transifex talk to .desktop files maybe
because I am not much familiar with it. I was advised on IRC to write
on this list.

You can find the source tarball for the multimedia-menus package in
[1]. So, what would be the best way to proceed?

Thanks,
Orcan

[1] http://oget.fedorapeople.org/multimedia-menus/SOURCE/