Re: Potentially ambiguous entries in docbook-locales

On 08/11/2009 09:13 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee wrote:
I have currently translated this (and the lowercase version of the same string) as "an index of sets" where "set" refers to "groups" (as per the translation note in string number 94). Is this context correct?

Specifically, an index to a whole set of books, like Paul said.

String:
msgid "by"

Reference:
#. Tag: para
#. LOCALIZATION NOTE: attribution of authorship: 'Romeo and Juliet' by William Shakespeare
#: locale.xml:128
#, no-c-format

This is the tricky one. From the translators note it seems that the translated version of "by" would be used in a format like '<name-of-book> by <name-of-writer>'. Now this would have been quite easy to write if the construction of the sentence in my language follows the same structure as in English. Unfortunately, this is not the case and a literal representation of the '<name-of-book> by <name-of-writer>' structure would be extremely incorrect syntactically.

We would probably follow a structure like: <name-of-book> <name-of-writer> <translation for 'written by'> (a simple 'by' would not be a perfect fit)

I am curious to know how the other languages with a similar problem have handled this.

Btw, in case this needs to be put in a bug, I would be happy to do so.

I'll ask about this with the docbook developers and get back to you.

Cheers
Ruediger