L10N Infrastructure Roadmap (was Re: FLP Meeting 2009-01-28 IRC Log)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 23:46:03 UTC 2009

----- "Jeff Fearn" <jfearn at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Asgeir Frimannsson
> <asgeirf at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Since the first recorded Transifex-commit in Nov 2007 until Dec
> 2008, 176
> >> out of ~450 unique FAS users (in the cvsl10n group) committed
> translations
> >> through the system, a few commits away from a total of 5000 commits
> to 86
> >> modules.
> >
> > Cool stats! Also worth noting that release notes were translated in
> more than
> > 20 languages with 80%+.
> >
> >> Documentation-statistics for Publican didn't work for F10, as
> Damned Lies
> >> has issues with having a PO file for each XML file withing a
> project.
> >
> > Is this an issue for the newer Django branch of Damned Lies? I
> > estimate that adding Publican support to Transifex is a matter of a
> > few hours of development time. If the Publican group could help
> Fedora
> > L10n with this task, it'd be great. Please send patches directly my
> > way and I'll test/merge right away.
>
> The only active developer in the Publican group is me and I don't have
> the time,
> or in all honesty the inclination, to learn Django.
>
> However, I am prepared to buy Asgeir a pint of his favourite ale to do
> this :D

Hehe, good one Jeff.

I'm migrating the old Damned Lies instance to the new Django-based Damned Lies this week, and I'm also looking into how much work it is to add publican support. As far as I understand Dimitris, the Django-based Transifex won't be ready in time for F11, and adding multiple file upload in the TurboGears-based Transifex is low priority.

cheers,
asgeir