Re: Request for help: what language is this?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Lauri Nurmi wrote:

la, 2009-02-21 kello 14:03 +0200, Panu Matilainen kirjoitti:
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Lucien Hantute wrote:
Panu Matilainen a écrit :
I've this funny little bug regarding translation of rpm manual pages,
saying that the Korean translation is not Korean:
The characters are traditional chinese, but the text itself is
gibberish. for example : "1996鰍 7杉 15析" should be "1996年 7月 15号".

I think there must have been a conversion problem from the original
encoding to UTF-8 at one time. The original may have been korean.

Ok, according to change history they've indeed been converted to utf-8
some time in ancient history. Can you check if the originals make any more
sense?
http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=doc/ko/rpm.8;hb=be2a538537041702617102a5a26cf00f1fcf9578
http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=doc/ko/rpm2cpio.8;hb=be2a538537041702617102a5a26cf00f1fcf9578

Hi,

I don't understand Korean either, but... When you convert for example
the first one with

iconv -f euc-kr -t utf-8 < rpm.8 > rpm_utf8.8

you'll get Korean-looking characters at least. Google Translate
recognizes it as Korean, and the translation for the first sentence is:

"as a powerful package manager rpm to create and install the software
package and to validate and update the question and I can geohal."

Wow, didn't know Google Translate knows Korean (well, you dont notice what you aren't looking for - at least I dont :)

Looks sane enough for me, re-converted to utf from the original versions now. Thanks for your help everybody!

	- Panu -