Pictures in the Installation Guide

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed May 6 03:35:03 UTC 2009

Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> The number of screenshots (how many screenshots) will help L10N team
> to weigh the task.
There are 68 screenshots in the Installation Guide
> The detailed steps to get there (each screen) will speed up
> translators to complete the task, it is usually more complicated task
> than general imagination.
> Is any virtual environment to be provided? Otherwise each translator
> needs to download target Fedora and perform the install process on
> their own machine for this purpose.

Actually, it's even more complicated than that. Remember that this is
the *installation* process we're documenting here, so the screenshots
need to be taken on a different machine (real or virtual) from the one
on which you're performing the installation process. You therefore
either need to install Fedora on one machine while controlling the
installation process and taking screenshots with a second machine (that
is, performing a VNC installation) or install Fedora on a virtual
machine (I use Sun VirtualBox for this).

Given the complexity of organising this, it was just easier for me to
take the screenshots in each language myself. If you look at the test
builds available here:
http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation%20Guide/ you will see
that each language has its own set of screenshots (with the exception of
a few languages where the installation process itself has not been
localised yet -- for example, Latvian -- which use the English screenshots).

Additionally, I'm aware that this is a very big book and a very
demanding one for translators. I hope that taking care of the
screenshots is at least one little thing that I can do to make their
lives easier :)

Cheers
Ruediger