Re: [publican-list] Publican 1.0 nearly here

On 11/02/2009 10:57 AM, Miloš Komarčević wrote:

The confusion
started when sr latin started showing up in new publicanized docs out
of our control.

I'll take the blame for that -- that was due to my attempt to make sure that the files displayed cleanly in Transifex

On a side note, I have also noticed that Transifex exhibits some
strange "memory" behavior and doesn't always reflect the true state of
the upstream repo when a file is removed.

Indeed; for now anyway, the solution is to ask one of the Transifex team to reset that project.
Agreed for docs, but don't know if moving UI stuff away from glibc's
sr latin is a good idea atm.

Sorry -- I should have been more explicit -- everything I've been talking about applies only to docs; the BCP47 codes are only relevant to XML. It would be crazy to use these codes for UI stuff :)

 From what I hear, Transifex 0.7 will
support both ways just fine.

Yes, it will.

Note too that when Transifex 0.7 arrives, docs translators will be working directly with the individual PO files that Publican generates for each XML file in the book, so "sr-Latn-RS" will be the name of a /directory/, not a PO file.

We would probably like to keep
the Cyrillic default preference, as there is consensus with other L10n
teams such as Gnome, KDE and OOo on this as well. (Curiously enough,
Google pages also default to Cyrillic script when you set up your
browser for sr only.)

Yes, I understand. I'm just wondering whether, by itself, sr-RS is truly a valid language tag in XML? We need to read the relevant specifications again more closely.

Thanks again for taking an interest in this, I hope other languages
using multiple scripts will benefit from these discussions as well in
the long run.

Indeed; and thanks for your patience and understanding -- we're getting there! :) For now, we just need to wait for our tools to catch up!!

Cheers

Ruediger