Re: [Design-team] Final Fedora 12 Schedule Tasks

(2009年11月12日 10:01), Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 06:26:18PM +1000, "かいお (Kaio)" wrote:
(2009年11月11日 18:23), Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:04:24AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
On 11/11/2009 07:52 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:36:24AM -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 15:26 +1000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f12%20banner/f12-release-banner.png

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/f12%
20banner/f12-release-banner_notext.png
Brilliant!  Any reason for us not to use the "notext" version, that
you know of?

I like the effect of the 'unite' text? Hehe. And 'Unite' is gonna be in
plain text either above or below the banner too, so that could serve as
a sort of translation.

I dunno. Is it worth potentially confusing someone to have the text in
the image? Maybe not. It is a cool effect though.
For what it's worth, I think the design including the text is
great. :-)

If we do want to keep it, though, maybe we should see if we can get
localized text out of the translations for the "Unite" wording on the
website.  Then we could include translations in the graphic, in
different fonts, instead of just English text.
That would be tricky since the text use various non-default font faces,
a translator would have to hunt for fonts (even if all of them are yum
installable) befor being able to render a correct PNG. And of course
such "artistic" fonts will not have the needed glyphs for various locale.
Oops, I didn't explain this very well, I suppose.  What I meant was
that we would simply have a single PNG file, that included many
renderings of "Unite" in different languages.  The PNG would continue
to be a non-translatable entity, where the graphic featured maybe 6 or
7 different languages only, instead of 6 or 7 different "Unite" words
of English text.  Am I making any better sense?

I support that we should not add excessive burden to translators or
designers. But which languages are going to be in the banner raise
another discussion. :P
That's exactly right.  And that's why I really think the right answer
is just to remove the "Unite" text from the graphic, which Mo has
already kindly provided for us.
The Chinese (Simplfied) translation in PO file of FP.o website on transifex is '团结', which is virtually consistent to ' 団結' in Japanese, '단결' in Korean partially in meanings and pronunciation, also '團結' in Chinese (Traditional) which should be the original source.

The translation is in zh_CN PO file for FP.o website, on Transifex.

^ FYI, in case Mo wants to put those "Unite"s into banner, sometime before the final design.

Caius kaio Chance

--
かいお kaio | kaio.me