[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Chinese Release Notes errors



On 11/18/2009 11:53 PM, John J. McDonough wrote:
Right now I can't say for sure. The batch job I run every night started around 0700Z and at that time, there were still plenty of errors. However, I see rudi posted a zh-CN to docs.fp.o around an hour later. Whether he manually corrected the files before building that or they were good when he downloaded them I can't say, and it is now his nighttime, so I'll have to check with him in his morning.

Yeah; I manually corrected these when I built the docs.


The zh-CN version at http://fedora.is-sixsigma.com/F12beta/ I corrected to see whether there were other types of errors. Because I don't totally understand the interaction with Transifex, I'm not comfortable pushing my edits back to git.

For trivial stuff like this (a missing ';' at the end of an entity, or a broken XML tag), I'll always push the fix back. The worst that can happen is that if a translator is already working with an earlier version of the file, she or he will overwrite your changes when she or he next checks in the file. In other words, the doc maintainer's work is lost, not the translator's work.


I did notice in the version at docs.fp.o that there were some entire sections in English in spite of Transifex saying 100%. I notice that some other languages have those same sections untranslated. My first reaction was to blame that on Publican producing a bad pot, but then I found some other languages where those same sections are translated, which leads me to suspect that perhaps those po's were checked out when the new branch was made. I need to scratch my head a little to sort out how we can deal with that.

This is something that we've known about for quite some time -- it has affected many (most?) of our docs in both F11 and F12. The process that we follow to merge and split the PO files is imperfect. Some strings that are translated in the PO file that we receive from Transifex do not always get split back correctly into Publican's multiple PO files.

In past discussions on F-T-L the consensus seems to have been to live with this until we get Transifex 0.7, which allows translators to work directly with the PO files generated by Publican. Not only will this eliminate the messy merging and splitting, but it will make it simple for translators to check their work to ensure that it builds, and also allow them to proofread their translations easily.

In the case of the Release Notes, we have the added complication of maintaining a slightly modified branch of the document so that thousands and thousands of strings from the tables don't find their way into the merged PO files for Transifex. As the makeup of the tables themselves has changed slightly between the Beta, GA, and 0-day versions of the Release Notes, not all of these changes have made their way into the merged PO files. Next time, we'll need to come up with a more robust process to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Very soon (once the RN package is finalized) we will need to regenerate the PO files to accommodate changes in how Publican 1.x handles PO files, in preparation for Fedora 13. At that time, translators will also be able to make final fine-tuning of the Fedora 12 notes and hopefully eliminate a few more of these English strings.

If any translation teams would like the files regenerated more immediately, please speak up, but remember that if we do it for *any* language, it will affect *all* languages.

Cheers

Ruediger


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]